[Openembedded-architecture] Yocto support for Centos-7 (RHEL-7): drop in early 2020?

Josef Holzmayr holzmayr at rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Fri Dec 13 08:14:32 UTC 2019

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 06:53:01PM -0500, Randy MacLeod wrote:
> On 12/10/19 2:34 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 9:23 AM Randy MacLeod
> > <randy.macleod at windriver.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > In the YP technical meeting today, Richard suggested that we stop
> > > support for CentOS-7. Is there any objection to doing so
> > > before 3.1-M2?
> > >
> > > CentOS-7 is just too old and there is significant work to support it.
> > I am in support of it, but then I also fear that many corporate
> > policies might still
> > be using it until 2024 when security updates end so perhaps would like to hear
> > centos7 users here. if no one speaks up then we can safely retire it before 3.1
>

> I confirmed that some of our customers still use RHEL-7 for
> many of their build machines. Some have only recently gone through the pain
> of upgrading from RHEL-6. Such an upgrade is relatively simple for individual
> developers but for large organizations it can take many if not 10s of person-years
> of work.

Actually if a company is so large that it takes man-years for a
migration, then it is for sure cheaper to allocate developer time to OE,
making sure the project suits their needs.

Because that sounds, at least to my very limited point of view, like:
"We are super huge and important, thou shall do what we need." instead of
"We are super huge and important, hence we can archieve things that
others cannot."

My $.02

--
———————————————
Josef Holzmayr

Tel: +49 8444 9204-48
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de
Amtsgericht Ingolstadt – GmbH: HRB 191328 – KG: HRA 170393
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
Ust-IdNr: DE 128592548