[Openembedded-architecture] Incorporating deploy artefacts from one multiconfig in another multiconfig

Rich Persaud persaur at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 01:09:10 UTC 2019

> On Feb 21, 2019, at 18:51, Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>
> Multiconfig is meant to support this workflow. Unfortunately there are
> open bugs and people haven't the time to work on it so its stalled.
> That said, the key pieces are already there.
>
> A picture is worth a thousand words. I thought a demo might interest
> people and "prove" this can work.

Thank you for the patches and PoC.  We will test and are motivated to see this work.

I will also be experimenting with the generation of "immutable infrastructure" from source code, to learn whether a single Packer.io template can be used to both:

(a) modify binary images, in the traditional Packer model, e.g. start a bitbake-generated image in a VM or container, make runtime configuration changes, then repack the machine image

(b) perform automated customization  of _inputs_ to bitbake recipes and package source code, such that a machine image built by bitbake + Packer template is equivalent to the image generated by Packer at runtime

If feasible, this would combine the agility of image customizations with the security of bitbake's reproducible builds and supply chain integrity.

Rich