[OE-core] Proposed Multilib Implementation Brainstorming

Frans Meulenbroeks fransmeulenbroeks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 08:47:17 UTC 2011

2011/4/5 Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org>:

[...]
> Does this make sense to everyone, are there any questions/ objections/
> concerns/ things I've missed?

I think most embedded systems would only use one lib. To take your
lib/lib64 example:
If I am developing for an embedded system I know whether it will run
as 32 or 64 bit, so there is no need to have both.

multilib has its merits when it comes to supporting multiple hardware systems.
However as in the embedded world one is typically targeting a specific
hardware configuration.
(actually I don't recall having seen requests for multilib on the ML
before, although I could have missed it).

Also I'm somewhat worried by the actual complexity this adds (to the
build process and the recipes, and timewise probably also to the
bootstrap process as additional packages have to be built).

Not sure if that is a desirable route forward, but if we (we as in OE
members + developers) feel that OE should go that way, I would
sugggest to have a way to opt-in or opt-out

Frans