[OE-core] [poky] Proposed Multilib Implementation Brainstorming

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Apr 7 16:53:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Hatle, Mark <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:

> I think definition may be an issue here.  When I speak of multilibs I am talking primarily about multiliple non-conflicting, ABI incompatible libraries being installed at the same time.  This is the ELF 32 and ELF 64 case where the items can't be linked together, but can be installed and jrun on the same machine.

Right, that's "multilib".

> The alternative is the case on ARM where we have one single ABI but multiple ways to implement the code.. Thumb, neon, vfp, etc being options.  We want to do this as well, but while related, I see it as a diffent use case.

Isn't this already covered by glibc's support for
/lib/$processor_feature?  On my Fedora 14 x86_64 system I have
/lib/i686/nosegneg for example, and a simple "strace true" shows us
trying to find a variant of libc that is built for TLS (and not
finding it):

$ strace true
execve("/bin/true", ["true"], [/* 54 vars */]) = 0
brk(0)                                  = 0xe59000
mmap(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1,
0) = 0x7f54472b0000
access("/etc/ld.so.preload", R_OK)      = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/src/build/jhbuild/lib64/tls/x86_64/libc.so.6", O_RDONLY) = -1
ENOENT (No such file or directory)