[OE-core] RFC: Layer tooling brainstorming

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Apr 18 13:59:00 UTC 2011

Some of the ideas I've been thinking of for layer tools, other than what's
been mentioned already:

* Show easily which recipes are being used and which are overridden. We have
bitbake-layers, but this clearly needs some extension. I think long term we
would want to be able to analyse overrides accross a set of layers to figure
out where common stuff in non-core layers needs pushing up to oe-core.

* Allow layer maintainers to easily pull a version of a recipe into their own
layer if it's about to be removed from oe-core - with some complicated recipes
that could be painful/annoying to pick out all the necessary files by hand.

* Recipe maintenance tools that take advantage of bitbake's parsing logic to
aid blanket updates (e.g. variable renames). This should help mitigate the
increased difficulty of having recipes spread out over multiple repositories
when doing these kinds of updates.

* Some kind of central registration of layers. I'm guessing a wiki page would
do for starters but something with a database behind it would enable us to
show "live" metadata such as when the layer was last updated, info read from
layer.conf etc.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre (UK)