[OE-core] [RFC] Working toward a GNOME layer

Joshua Lock josh at linux.intel.com
Thu Apr 21 16:40:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 16:05 +0100, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Thursday 21 April 2011 15:02:49 Koen Kooi wrote:
> > and possibly more. I would like to create a meta-gnome layer in the
> > meta-openembedded repository where new recipes get added and things from
> > meta-demoapps can get moved over into. Long term recipes-gnome in oe-core
> > should move there as well.
> >
> > What are your thoughts on this?

+1

> From my perspective this sounds like a great idea. The only question would be
> how much of the "GNOME" libs would remain in oe-core as some of them are quite
> widely used outside of GNOME proper; however that can easily be worked out as
> these things mature.

+1

My personal opinion would be that we start with glib & gtk+ (plus their
dependencies, i.e. pango, atk, etc) in core and move the rest out to a
layer.

I feel that Gtk+ is used by enough non-gnome software that it belongs in
core but others may disagree?

Between meta/recipes-gnome and meta-demoapps we have a reasonable start
to a meta-gnome/

I'd be happy to help with this layer.

Cheers,
Joshua