[OE-core] [RFC] Working toward a GNOME layer

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Fri Apr 22 17:34:27 UTC 2011

Op 22 apr 2011, om 18:23 heeft Joshua Lock het volgende geschreven:

> On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 20:12 +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:

>>> Hmm, still exists for me:
>>>
>>> joshual at vorpal:~/Projects/Yocto/oe-core/meta-demoapps[master]
>>> $ pwd
>>> /home/joshual/Projects/Yocto/oe-core/meta-demoapps

>>> None whatsoever. I keep meaning to push some recipes into that layer
>>> anyway.
>>
>> I just sent out 10 patches for review that import recipes-gnome from meta-demoapps into meta-gnome. Please review :)
>
> The way I see it there are two approaches, tidy & test the recipes then
> merge *or* merge then fix.
>
> If we're going for the latter approach let's get your patches merged!

While I'd love the first approach, the second is a lot more practical for 'yocto' recipes, I would reserve the vetting for the ones imported from OE. Does that sound OK?

> This does raise another question, is meta-oe striving for the same
> standards of metadata as oe-core? i.e. SRC_URI & license checksums,
> updated patch syntax, etc.

It does, but it still has crud in it from "the early days" which needs to get cleaned up. No license checksum is fatal, so that one is covered, but the source checksums aren't.  I would be nice to make the following errors fatal (if they haven't already):

1) license checksums
2) LDFLAGS (gnu-hash)
3) source checksums

> Also, how much gnome do we want to support? Are we trying to be all new
> and shiny and drop deprecated libraries (gnome-vfs)?

Personally I would go for importing 2.30 from OE and see if there are 2.32 updates available. 2.30 should be relatively gnome-vfs free. So for this specific example, let's try to avoid gnome-vfs. In a broader sense, let's get gnome 2 in and look at gnome 3 later. I suspect gnome 3 will be a world of hurt with its clutter and hence openGL requirements.

> Just trying to work out what patches to work on ;-)

Which reminds me, the gtk+ in meta-oe needs to get compared to the one in oe-core to see what's different, I don't want to keep a copy in meta-oe.

> Perhaps we can
> define a policy of what's appropriate for the layer in a README?

Are you volunteering to draft a README? If so, go for it :)

regards,

Koen