[OE-core] [RFC] meta-handheld

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Sun Apr 24 09:25:03 UTC 2011

On Saturday 23 April 2011 00:09:38 Andrea Adami wrote:
> I agree with Richard, for keeping it as meta- group.
> About expectations, at least for Zaurus I don't see problems: vanilla
> 2.6.38 kernel, actual udev, imminent move to xorg-xserver if kdrive is
> finally doomed.
>
> Ipaq's seem suffering more bitrot...

This is a problem, yes. Most of the iPAQs require 2.6.21-hh which is ancient
and unmaintained and as we know presents difficulties with modern udev. Some of
the iPAQs will work with mainline but many functions will be unavailable. This
is something I hope can be sorted out - surely by now a lot of the "ip blocks"
used within iPAQs and other PDAs are now in mainline already and all that's
necessary is some plumbing...?

Anyway, I'm concerned that if these machines get pushed out to some random
repo it's only going to make things worse. I think we can mitigate the
concerns about people rushing in only to find that the level of support for
their device is less than they hoped simply by being crystal clear about each
device's status in documentation (e.g. a wiki page), something which we have
not been good at recently. (Am I volunteering to maintain this information as
well? Naturally :) )

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre (UK)