[OE-core] [poky] RFC: design of network based PR service

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Thu Apr 28 22:02:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Mark Hatle <mark.hatle at windriver.com> wrote:
> Checksums and timestamps are not enough to determine a logical progression of
> the components.
>
> We need something that informs the user where these changes fit in the grand
> scheme of things.  Are they newer or older then a recipe of the same name (and
> package version)?

I think we might want to stop using the term PR to describe what
you're talking about here.  PR has historically had a quite specific
meaning to us, given how bitbake has operated, and how stamps worked.
It sounds like you want to formalize what we've likely all been doing
manually -- PR .= ".1" or whatever in the .bbappend of a given layer.
Do you think we really need a format string for this, or would
introducing a new variable that's simply a list of extra version
components, and which is used by the packaging classes, likely not by
bitbake itself, get the job done? Am I grasping your need correctly?
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com