[OE-core] Error running QEMU with oe-core / angstrom console-image, hwclock: can't open '/dev/misc/rtc' : No such file or directory

Samuel Stirtzel s.stirtzel at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 4 08:08:30 UTC 2011

2011/8/3 Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com>:
> There is a smart script in scripts/ dir that you could use something like
> this
>
> runqemu /var/oe-core/tmp-eglibc/deploy/images/qemuarm/zImage-qemuarm.bin
> /var/oe-core/tmp-eglibc/deploy/images/qemuarm/console-image-qemuarm.ext2
>
> and it will setup everything (even networking) for you

Already tried this one, but for some unknown reasons it doesn't work,
I get the following output:
-
samuel at S-Linux:/var/oe-core/setup-scripts$ runqemu
/var/oe-core/tmp-eglibc/deploy/images/qemuarm/zImage-qemuarm.bin
/var/oe-core/tmp-eglibc/deploy/images/qemuarm/console-image-qemuarm.ext2
Set MACHINE to [qemuarm] based on kernel
[/var/oe-core/tmp-eglibc/deploy/images/qemuarm/zImage-qemuarm.bin]

Continuing with the following parameters:
KERNEL: [/var/oe-core/tmp-eglibc/deploy/images/qemuarm/zImage-qemuarm.bin]
ROOTFS: [/var/oe-core/tmp-eglibc/deploy/images/qemuarm/console-image-qemuarm.ext2]
FSTYPE: [ext2]
Setting up tap interface under sudo
[sudo] password for samuel:
sudo runqemu-ifup <gid> <native-sysroot-basedir>
samuel at S-Linux:/var/oe-core/setup-scripts$
-
This is all, no QEMU window appears or any other messages, or do I
have run something else.

For remote debugging purpose I wrote a generic script that will set up
a tap and bridge interface and restores the network connection after
qemu closes.
This script can also run QEMU with standard network settings.
Basically runqemu and my scripts should do the same thing(?), but
since runqemu doesn't work for me I made my own scripts (also it won't
need sudo if the standard network option is used).

The scripts are attached in this mail, to run the script you could use
"sh /somedir/generic_qemu_loader.sh --help".
This script however may not work on other systems than ubuntu, I share
it only for information exchange purpose.
If you still want to use it, keep in thought that I am a beginner in
shell coding!

The difference between the standard network settings and the
bridge/tap interfaces is, that the standard network only supports
outgoing TCP and UDP connections while the bridge/tap interface can be
used to host, for example, a gdbserver.

Regards
Samuel