[OE-core] erratic failure of pseudo

James Limbouris james at digitalmatter.com.au
Fri Aug 5 03:20:19 UTC 2011

On Wed Aug 3 05:57:55, James Limbouris wrote:
> On Tue Aug 2 16:40:09, Mark Hatle wrote:

>>> I'd work backwards with this. Check the owners of the files in the
>>> packages, then that either points at the packages themselves or the
>>> rootfs step. I'd also disable rm_work whilst debugging this since it
>>> deletes a lot of the info you might want to use to debug it...
>>>
>>> There is the PSEUDO_DEBUG=x environmental variable which can help with
>>> pseudo debugging too...
>>
>> First, are you using the oe-init-build-env script to setup your environment?  If
>> not, are you using the scripts/bitbake wrapper when calling bitbake?  If you do
>> not use the wrapper, pseudo is not active and you will get the build uid/gid
>> embedded in the packages (or you will get failures.)  Assuming you are using the
>> wrapper...
>>
>> Each package has it's own pseudo database.  The final image does as well.  As
>> Richard said, start with which file or directories appear to be incorrect.  Back
>> up to the package itself and see if they are incorrect in the package.  If they
>> are then focus on the work directory of the package.
>>
>> PSEUDO_DEBUG is simply a number starting with '1'.  The larger the number the
>> more verbose the debug output will be.
>>
>> Inside of the work directory, i.e.
>> buld/tmp-eglibc/work/i586-oe-linux/zlib-1.2.5-r0, will be a pseudo directory.
>> There is a "pseudo.log" file here.  Inside of the files any un-owned directories
>> that pseudo becomes aware of will be listed.  It's pretty typical for there to
>> be one or two directories listed here, normally this is not a problem.  If the
>> directories you are having issues with are listed that could be the cause...
>> (If so please let us know by sending a bug report with the package and
>> directories that are having the issues..)
>>
>> The files.db is the database of all of the files.  This is an sqlite3 database.
>>
>> The contents of the primary table (file) is:
>>
>> files ( id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, path VARCHAR, dev INTEGER, ino INTEGER, uid
>> INTEGER, gid INTEGER, mode INTEGER, rdev INTEGER , deleting INTEGER)
>>
>> Use sql commands to find the path you are concerned with and see if it's in the
>> list.  Note, not all paths are listed.  Some filesystem operations only work
>> based on inode..  In that case the entry is "NAMELESS FILE" [for the path], and
>> the inode is filed in.
>>
>> Finally, what filesystem are you using?  There are a few filesystems like
>> clearcase that do not have consistent inodes.  Pseudo uses inodes to verify that
>> the file is the same and has not moved from one instance to the next.  (If the
>> inode isn't set it falls back to filename only.)
>>
>> --Mark
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Richard

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the detailed hints. I've tracked the problem down to PSEUDO_LOCALSTATEDIR being set incorrectly.

> [...]

Hi,

I've tried building oe-core on its own, with no extra layers,
and pseudo then works as expected. Building it as part of Angstrom,
using the Angstrom setup scripts according to the instructions,
results in a single pseudo db being used for all packages.

So I think this looks like a bug, rather than misconfiguration on my part.

By trial and error, I found that in my own setup (based on the
Angstrom setup), if the first bitbake command after touching my
local.conf to cause a cache rebuild is 'bitbake -s', I get seperate
pseudo db's for packages, but not images. If it is bitbake -c clean,
I get a single pseudo db in all cases.

Right now I'm resorting to deleting the misplaced db on every bitbake
invocation, but I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Regards,
James Limbouris