[OE-core] how to pass or set specific gcc flags?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 19:31:35 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>> I think the 2 toolchains is UGLY and confusing to customers/users.
>> While I understand it from the point of view on how to take steps to
>> get multilib going it doesn't mean we shouldnt start thinking about
>> how to address these issues.
>
> We've been working on multilb for a while and so far its taken some
> significant work by several people to get things working as they are
> now. We really need to spend some some and stabilise and consolidate
> that work so far at this point.
>
> I'm more than happy to think about consolidating the toolchain pieces,
> its on the future ideas list but I don't believe its appropriate right
> now. I'd like the work done so far to work properly before we try
> enhancing it further.
>
> I'd hope that the toolchains are actually pretty hidden from
> customers/users to, I don't think its as ugly as you're making out and
> actually has some benefits.

I think 32bit will be called powerpc-*-*-gcc and 64bit will be powerpc64-*-*-gcc
which is IMO readable. GCC based toolchains have their own idea of
multilib which isnt quite same as OE. So I think current solution is
better. As long as both compilers
are shipped in SDKs it should be fine. But I see the point where if
you have been
shipping single multilibbed toolchains then there will be a change the
way compilers
are invoked.