[OE-core] X11 as DISTRO_FEATURE

Anders Darander anders at chargestorm.se
Thu Aug 11 13:27:03 UTC 2011

* Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> [110811 14:17]:
> Right now, there are a bunch of recipes (e.g. dbus, cairo) which always
> build against X11 even though the underlying software can work without
> it.  This makes it somewhat painful to build a display system using
> clutter (for example) without X.

> It's also moderately fiddly to stop X11 from leaking in by mistake; you
> can't just BBMASK the whole of "xorg-*" because things like pixman are
> still needed by cairo even when not using X11.

> So, to combat this, I would like to make X11 be a DISTRO_FEATURE and
> arrange for:

> a) libx11 to skip itself; and
> b) recipes for which x11 is optional to not depend on X stuff
> if that feature isn't selected.

> Any objections, better suggestions, ...?

The opposite of objections, at least from me... This is something that
I've wanted to do for a long time (but I never seem to get the time for
it).

Once again, I'm fighting against not only building X-related stuff, but
also preventing it from leaking into my image...

I think making it a distro feature is the best option, and once we get
this into oe-core, I think we could extend this to some more parts.

Cheers,
Anders

--
Anders Darander