[OE-core] Questions about the layer structure in OpenEmbedded-Core

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Aug 12 09:08:03 UTC 2011

On Friday 12 August 2011 07:17:52 Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
> lately I looked a bit into the structure of OE-Core and found pages
> like: http://www.yoctoproject.org/projects/openembedded-core, and
> http://openembedded.org/index.php/LayerIndex
>
> 1. question: Are these informations reliable (the layer index page
> seems outdated).

I wrote both of these with input from the community recently, so they should
be fairly reliable and up-to-date - was there something missing that you
noticed? Suggestions welcome.

> 2.: Currently the "UI layer" seems to be contained in
> meta-openembedded, so is this _the_ layer for UI and windowmanager
> recipes or is this a subject to change?

There are several different UIs available. OE-core provides Sato (mainly for
testing); the meta-openembedded repository contains several layers that
provide some more (GNOME, XFCE, etc.)

> 3.: The commercial layer is nowhere found, what are the plans for this
> layer, or was this just an idea?

As Denys mentioned this sort of thing is (or is expected to be) provided by
multiple OSVs.

> 4.: In which layer would distributions fit in the graphic?

I would imagine they would take the place of the commercial layer - after all,
both would be providing the same sorts of "policy" type metadata.

> 5.: Is something important missing / wrong in my graphic (other than
> the distro stuff)?

It looks good, but I'm not sure that you'd expect to be mixing all of these
layers together in one configuration; e.g. the commercial layer / distro
layers.

Cheers,
Paul

--