[OE-core] kernels

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 20:52:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Bruce Ashfield
<bruce.ashfield at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Anders Darander <anders at chargestorm.se> wrote:

>>> That's reasonable. Once I get the imminent kernel uprev out the door, I'll
>>> focus on something along these lines.
>>
>> That sounds good. Upon re-reading the email, I wasn't really sure if the intent was a guide on how to supply your own configuration, or whether it was intended to be about how to integrate a custom BSP-kernel (preferably both tarball and directly from a local git repo). If it was the first, then I hope that later on we'll be able to derive a guide for developing a custom BSP-layer (it's the kernel part I'm interested in).
>
> It was more the first in this case, but it can actually encompass the
> second. What would be covered here would be a special case of developing
> a custom layer. Taking some arbitrary source, configuration, patches, git trees
> and creating a kernel repo that would work with the linux-yocto tools and
> recipes.
>
> The second topic of creating a custom BSP layer, doesn't (and shouldn't
> normally) have to go so far. A simple branch reference, or reference to
> a tree based on a known linux-yocto is all you need to build with linux-yocto
> for most custom BSPs. As for the source of that custom BSP (tarball or
> git) that would be covered in how to create that custom branch reference.

bumping this old thread (by replying to myself), this hasn't been forgotten,
and I spent considerable time on some docs last week. I've got a few small
sections remaining to complete (but important sections), and I'll have some
reasonable docs that I can send out in the next day or so.

Cheers,

Bruce

>> Preferably first a guide on how to get a custom BSP kernel built from git, and later on, when there both are time available as well as some more stabilization, how to base my own BSP kernel on linux-yocto (eg. using linux-yocto as the upstream repo). It's unfortunately not always that likely that the BSP for some products will be mainlined...
>
> I experience this every day as well .. bsp patches that will largely
> live forever, so
> I completely understand. The structure of the repos is created to manage just
> this sort of nagging patch and any crimes they may have committed. So this
> topic can be explicitly called out and worked on.
>
> The basics are covered in the existing guides, but it sounds like some end
> to end use cases might be in order.
>
> Bruce
>

>> Cheers,
>> Anders

> --
> "Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
> thee at its end"

thee at its end"