[OE-core] [CONSOLIDATED PULL 15/32] conf, recipes: Redefine LINKER_HASH_STYLE

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Aug 19 14:26:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 10:24 +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 13:55 -0700, Saul Wold wrote:
> > From: Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com>
> >
> > LINKER_HASH_STYLE is not set to either sysv or gnu
> > depending upon architecture e.g. mips does not support
> > gnu hash style among the supported architectures so
> > we make sure its set to 'sysv' form mips
> >
> > Linker flags are munged to adhere to renamed variable
> >
> > Third option is to set it to 'both' we do
> > not do that by default but user can still set it
>
> It wasn't totally obvious to me why this patch is a good thing.  Can you
> explain why this change is desirable?
>
> Also, I found the first paragraph of the description above quite hard to
> understand.  Do you think you could try to reword it to be a bit
> clearer?

Agreed, I'm also having trouble understanding this change. I guess its
related to the options passed into gcc but I suspect we can just improve
the gcc option handling instead.

What I don't like about this patch is forcing a string into LDFLAGS and
I much prefer the current approach where its either added or its not,
its not just adding a parameter through the variable.

Also, if mips doesn't support this, how is anything at all working at
the moment?