[OE-core] why do we poison -Os?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 16:14:15 UTC 2011

On 8/24/2011 3:52 AM, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 09:47 +0800, Xu, Dongxiao wrote:
>> My understanding is that, if GCC is not configured with the ability of code space optimization, target recipes will not have code size benefit even if adding "-Os" option.
>
> No, that's incorrect.  All that --enable-target-optspace does is change
> the definition of CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET, which causes the GCC support
> libraries (i.e. libgcc, libstdc++, etc) to be built with -Os rather than
> -O2.  It has no effect on the functionality of the compiler itself.

thats correct. this options is only for making gcc runtime to be built
with Os. It does not make gcc to use -Os by default. The problem for ppc
however is that if you built with Os then gcc depends upon functions
from libgcc.a which needs libgcc.so to be a linker script stub rather
than a symlink as it used to be but this has been fixed