[OE-core] [RFC oe-core] mkcard: Add a script to parition and format an SD Card

Jason Kridner jkridner at beagleboard.org
Tue Aug 30 16:46:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Joel A Fernandes <agnel.joel at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> classes shouldn't be calling external scripts
>>>

>> Is the right approach to add parameters to the IMAGE_CMD_sdimg class
>> such that it can be used generically to produce SD card images,
>> instead of trying to move this to meta-ti?  Should it perhaps be a bit
>> closer to what is being done by the Linaro image tools [1]?
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.linaro.org/Source/ImageBuilding
>>

> Don't the Linaro scripts need to run on the target?

No.

> Does it fit well
> with OE(-core) ?

I don't know, but I hoped that others would comment to help figure it
out.  I think it is a common challenge not just for ARM architectures.
 I'm not sure if the approach is general enough or not, but it does go
beyond the BeagleBoard.

My primary concerns about leaving it in the BSP are:
1) that there is some room for non-BeagleBoard specific optimizations
to the card layout and
2) there may be improvements to the tools that make it easier to
create images for systems with different boot requirements.

Also, I think we might want to move to an ext3 partition only in the
future or other such layout optimizations.  I'd like that to be
something that can be parameterized by the BSP.