[OE-core] Coordinating inter-layer dependencies

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Thu Dec 1 20:28:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 12:55 PM, McClintock Matthew-B29882
<B29882 at freescale.com> wrote:
>> To avoid stressing out RP and Sau! I would strongly urge layer maintainers to respond to recipe update patches with "I have a bbappend, but my review process needs time, please use the above proposal" if you need time to test and update  your bbappends.
>>
>> We're all human in the end and timezone differences aren't always helping with these kinds of problems, so let's work together to minimize parsing breakage.
>>
>> Related to that: Please include information on how to send patches upstream in your layer/repo README. The meta-intel/emenlow lacks that and the top level README doesn't mention that there are sublevel READMEs.
>
> Why don't we make a version of bbappend that applies to all packages
> with the same name? This would fix the constant changing
> netbase_vXYZ.bbappend issue.

I'm pretty sure going by filename was a conscious design decision in
bitbake, to keep things simple and avoid the need to parse up front
before being able to determine the appends to use. RP would know the
details.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com