[OE-core] SPDX vs LICENSE field valid licenses

Bernhard Guillon Bernhard.Guillon at hale.at
Thu Dec 15 08:36:07 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I want to ask which license style is currently the preferred one? At
license.bbclass this comment appears:

# Standards are great! Everyone has their own. In an effort to standardize
licensing
# names, common-licenses will use the SPDX standard license names. In
order to not
# break the non-standardized license names that we find in LICENSE, we'll
set
# up a bunch of VarFlags to accomodate non-SPDX license names.
#
# We should really discuss standardizing this field, but that's a longer
term goal.
# For now, we can do this and it should grab the most common LICENSE
naming variations.

So the valide license names for recipes are e.g. MPLv1 while the SPDX
license is MPL-1. Why are we not using MPL-1 at the LICENSE field from
recipes?

Best regrads,
Bernhard Guillon

--