[OE-core] Can we drop eglibc-utils from LIBC_DEPENDENCIES?

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Fri Dec 16 18:30:48 UTC 2011

I'm working on a minimal distro definition, and found that eglibc-utils
pulls in bash (needed for tzconfig and xtrace apparently) which pulls in
gettext, which requires wchar support. I'd like to remove eglibc-utils
from my distro definition. I could override the default I suspect, but I
wonder if eglibc-utils should be made an optional package that distro
definitions, images, or users should specifically add if needed?

The relevant bit of code appears to be:

meta/conf/distro/include/tclibc-eglibc.inc

LIBC_DEPENDENCIES = "libsegfault \
		     eglibc \
    		     eglibc-dbg \
    		     eglibc-dev \
    		     eglibc-utils \
    		     eglibc-thread-db \
    		     eglibc-localedata-i18n \
    		     eglibc-gconv-ibm850 \
    		     eglibc-gconv-cp1252 \
    		     eglibc-gconv-iso8859-1 \
    		     eglibc-gconv-iso8859-15 \
    		     locale-base-en-us \
    		     locale-base-en-gb "

eglibc-dbg and eglibc-dev also seem like they could be made optional.

Thoughts? Would anyone object to me removing at least eglibc-utils from
LIBC_DEPENDENCIES?

--
Darren Hart
Intel Open Source Technology Center