[OE-core] Proposal: recipe feature switches

Andrea Adami andrea.adami at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 10:53:43 UTC 2011

<cut>

> Some worthwhile configuration can't be expressed in terms of high-level
> distro features (i.e.: usb, bluetooth, alsa etc...).  What about "I want
> SSL support, but NOT in library foo".  That case can't be covered by
> distro feature 'ssl'.

see  http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2

"Declaring USE flags for individual packages"
Sometimes you want to declare a certain USE flag for one (or a couple)
of applications but not system-wide. ...
.."

> Embedded developers are going to need to configure packages for their
> own application, if we provide an interface to do it, then that has to
> be better than everyone inventing their own methods.

Why reinvent the wheel? See above.

<cut>

This discussion about flags/switches is recurring now and then. It's
becoming a classic :)
Now, the detractors have argued that those flags would be a nightmare
for people packaging feeds, with no way for the package manager to
detect those different recipes with the same name.

Are we still standing there?

Regards

Andrea