[OE-core] [PROPOSAL] Package feature switches, redux.

Chris Elston celston at katalix.com
Mon Jul 4 16:49:37 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 17:44 +0100, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> On 07/04/2011 05:12 PM, Chris Elston wrote:
> >> Hi, with my Angstrom cap on I like this syntax and I think it will be
> >> really useful.
> >>
> >> A second level concern I have is about conflicting features, its not
> >> something we will come across probably in DISTRO land as we are sensible
> >> enough not to select them. But users could select them in local.conf.
> >>
> >> Graeme
> > As a new developer, I've discovered that there are plenty of things that
> > you can set in local.conf which break things :D
> >
> > Could you please give an example of conflicting features that could
> > cause problems, I'm not experienced enough with OE to have encountered
> > that problem yet.
> >

> Cant think of a solid one off the top of my head, but I mean the cases where
>
> --enable-feature means that --disable-another-feature is done.
>
> This is why I listed it as a secondary issue.
>
> Graeme

I understand. We could capture that information with an optional extra
field in the config info something like:

PACKAGE_CONFIG[foo] = "--enable-foo, --disable-foo, libfoo, <options
which conflict with foo>"

And then detect the conflict.  It's a trade off of time to handle that
conflicts field, versus how many potential conflicts there are I guess.
I think we could add it later if it turned out to be a common problem.

Cheers,

Chris.