[OE-core] [PROPOSAL] Package feature switches, redux.

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Tue Jul 12 17:03:26 UTC 2011

On 7/4/11 11:44 AM, Graeme Gregory wrote:
> On 07/04/2011 05:12 PM, Chris Elston wrote:
>>> Hi, with my Angstrom cap on I like this syntax and I think it will be
>>> really useful.
>>>
>>> A second level concern I have is about conflicting features, its not
>>> something we will come across probably in DISTRO land as we are sensible
>>> enough not to select them. But users could select them in local.conf.
>>>
>>> Graeme
>> As a new developer, I've discovered that there are plenty of things that
>> you can set in local.conf which break things :D
>>
>> Could you please give an example of conflicting features that could
>> cause problems, I'm not experienced enough with OE to have encountered
>> that problem yet.
>>

> Cant think of a solid one off the top of my head, but I mean the cases where
>
> --enable-feature means that --disable-another-feature is done.
>
> This is why I listed it as a secondary issue.

I remember seeing similar issues as well.

I really like this syntax described for the options.  If there is some way to
list a conflicting option -- or even simple some python syntax useful within a
recipe itself to say "hey you can't specify these two things and use this
recipe", that would be all that I think is needed.

I rarely find packages where it's likely someone will try to configure a
conflicting option set, but it does happen.. if we find it.. we should be able
to note it within the recipe and have it flag the user before do_configure is
run.  (Preferably even before that!)

--Mark