[OE-core] kernels

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:36:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Anders Darander <anders at chargestorm.se> wrote:

> On 20 jul 2011, at 22:18, "Bruce Ashfield" <bruce.ashfield at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Op 20 jul 2011, om 17:42 heeft Bruce Ashfield het volgende geschreven:

>>> A guide to make your own setup that isn't based on linux-yocto but which does work with the linux-yocto bbclass?
>>
>> That's reasonable. Once I get the imminent kernel uprev out the door, I'll
>> focus on something along these lines.
>
> That sounds good. Upon re-reading the email, I wasn't really sure if the intent was a guide on how to supply your own configuration, or whether it was intended to be about how to integrate a custom BSP-kernel (preferably both tarball and directly from a local git repo). If it was the first, then I hope that later on we'll be able to derive a guide for developing a custom BSP-layer (it's the kernel part I'm interested in).

It was more the first in this case, but it can actually encompass the
second. What would be covered here would be a special case of developing
a custom layer. Taking some arbitrary source, configuration, patches, git trees
and creating a kernel repo that would work with the linux-yocto tools and
recipes.

The second topic of creating a custom BSP layer, doesn't (and shouldn't
normally) have to go so far. A simple branch reference, or reference to
a tree based on a known linux-yocto is all you need to build with linux-yocto
for most custom BSPs. As for the source of that custom BSP (tarball or
git) that would be covered in how to create that custom branch reference.

> Preferably first a guide on how to get a custom BSP kernel built from git, and later on, when there both are time available as well as some more stabilization, how to base my own BSP kernel on linux-yocto (eg. using linux-yocto as the upstream repo). It's unfortunately not always that likely that the BSP for some products will be mainlined...

I experience this every day as well .. bsp patches that will largely
live forever, so
I completely understand. The structure of the repos is created to manage just
this sort of nagging patch and any crimes they may have committed. So this
topic can be explicitly called out and worked on.

The basics are covered in the existing guides, but it sounds like some end
to end use cases might be in order.

Bruce

> Cheers,
> Anders