[OE-core] Directory permissions and ownership -- RFC

Phil Blundell pb at pbcl.net
Tue Jun 21 18:57:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 11:43 -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
> Adjust the umask to 022.  This resolves the problem of dynamically generated
> directories (mkdir -p) and specific files (touch foo) having odd permissions.
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=mhatle/perms&id=d8470b6a8efdbba04cef5d4dc1ce12720fe83621

Are you confident that this isn't going to break anything like
group-shared DL_DIRs?  I'm not entirely thrilled about forcing the umask
to 022 for everything that bitbake does, although I can see that making
it be so for particular tasks like do_install() might have some merit.
Even in the latter case, though, I wonder whether we should just be
paying more attention to recipe hygiene and using "install -m ..." with
the permissions that we actually want.

I'm also not quite sure I understand why this is necessary if
fixup_perms is going to fix up the permissions anyway.

> The user can add their own settings, or override the defaults by providing a
> meta/files/fs-perms.txt file.

Using a magically-named file rather than metadata vars is a bit
unconventional and seems like it will make life unnecessarily harder for
distros/other overlays.  Is there any reason it needs to be done that
way?

p.