[OE-core] Using TCLIBC = "uclibc" in oe-core

Tom Parkin tom.parkin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 13:13:45 UTC 2011

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I think the balance of what's been said suggests we'd want this change
in oe-core.  The question of whether doing special "USE_NLS" hackery
for glib-2.0-native is a good design or not is a somewhat more open
issue...

Assuming this change is good, what would I need to do to formally
submit a patch?  Is there a howto for oe-core patch submission that I
can refer to?

Thanks,
Tom

On 21 June 2011 17:49, Richard Purdie
<richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 15:54 +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 15:04 +0100, Tom Parkin wrote:
>> > The attached patch allows me to (at least) assemble the bitbake task
>> > list when TCLIBC = "uclibc".  I'm not sure whether this is the correct
>> > approach, though.
>>
>> Do you know why glib-2.0.inc is doing this crazy thing in the first
>> place?  If we're going to have code in the config files to effectively
>> make it think that USE_NLS is always on, maybe that check should just be
>> removed.
>>
>> You're right though that the current line in tclibc-uclibc.inc is
>> clearly just wrong and should be either fixed or deleted.
>
> It does appear to work due to code in base.bbclass which does:
>
>    use_nls = bb.data.getVar('USE_NLS_%s' % pn, d, 1)
>    if use_nls != None:
>        bb.data.setVar('USE_NLS', use_nls, d)
>
> where this code predates the use of pn-${PN} in overrides.
>
> Nowadays it makes sense just to use the pn- override and we should drop
> this legacy stuff IMO.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

Tom Parkin
www.thesecretdogproject.com
Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace /Wilde/