[OE-core] Tell me your build error message annoyances!

Phil Blundell pb at pbcl.net
Wed Jun 1 15:06:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 15:26 -0700, Scott Garman wrote:
> I'd like to collect some feedback on error messages while building that
> you find confusing/annoying/unhelpful. I'm going to be working on trying
> to improve the situation and would like to hear from you about what
> could be more helpful.

Funnily enough we were just having a discussion about this on irc.  My
personal top two least favourite diagnostics are:

a) "bitbake -b nonexistent-file" gives ten lines of so of python
exception traceback and then prints "MultipleMatches".

b) "bitbake -b recipe.bb", with a recipe that skips (due to an
inCOMPATIBLE_MACHINE or whatever) gives the traditional ten lines of
traceback spew and then prints "TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not
iterable".

This is with bitbake 1.13.0.

p.