[OE-core] gnu-config-native and perl-native

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Jun 1 17:51:53 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-01 at 18:14 +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
> Further to my mini-crusade against perl-native, I discovered that it was
> also being included during the initial pseudo build because
> gnu-config-native depends on it.
>
> This also seems a bit mysterious: gnu-config has:
>
> DEPENDS_virtclass-native = "perl-native"
>
> ... which suggests that the dependency on perl-native was indeed
> intentional rather than accidental.  But later, it has:
>
> 	# In the native case we want the system perl as perl-native can't have built yet
> 	if [ "${BUILD_ARCH}" != "${TARGET_ARCH}" ]; then
> 		sed -i -e 's,/usr/bin/env,${bindir}/env,g' ${D}${bindir}/gnu-configize
> 	fi
>
> ... which suggests that it isn't actually expecting to use the
> newly-built perl anyway.  Does anybody know what's going on with that?

This was merged as a work around to the ton of bugs we were seeing where
if perl-native was half staged (say the perl binary without libperl)
when gnu-configize was run you would see build failures or other timing
related issues.

It works since it makes perl-native happen early and consistently.

I allowed the workaround on the condition we did go back and fix the
problem properly, Dexuan has published a series doing just this and many
perl-native dependencies will disappear when that series merges.