[OE-core] Tell me your build error message annoyances!

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Jun 3 15:47:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Phil Blundell <pb at pbcl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 09:22 -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
>> I believe currently we have around 3-5 messages per step, and it's still too
>> noisy -- unless you need to debug something.
>
> Correct.  Right now, the output looks like:
>
> NOTE: Running task 613 of 728 (ID: 190, virtual:native:/home/pb/oe/oe-core/meta/recipes-core/util-linux/util-linux_2.19.1.bb, do_install)
> NOTE: package util-linux-native-2.19.1-r0: task do_install: Started
> NOTE: package util-linux-native-2.19.1-r0: task do_install: Succeeded
> NOTE: Running task 614 of 728 (ID: 191, virtual:native:/home/pb/oe/oe-core/meta/recipes-core/util-linux/util-linux_2.19.1.bb, do_populate_sysroot)
> NOTE: package util-linux-native-2.19.1-r0: task do_populate_sysroot: Started
> NOTE: package util-linux-native-2.19.1-r0: task do_populate_sysroot: Succeeded
>
> It looks as though the "Started" and "Succeeded" lines could just be
> deleted without losing any real information.

Heh, I used to have a personal branch where I dropped those, and also
removed the unnecessary NOTE: prefix. I think its a given that
something that doesn't indicate a warning or an error is simply
informative :) The problem with dropping those messages is for
postprocessing scripts, which may well want/need to know when a task
completes, not just when it starts. Still, yet another case of
something we could drop as long as we log it. We need to add a main
bitbake execution log that captures everything, including debug
messages, whether the user specifies -D or not.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com