[OE-core] [Yocto] The design document for ccache-native

Saul Wold saul.wold at intel.com
Thu Jun 9 22:40:41 UTC 2011

On 06/02/2011 08:11 PM, wenzong fan wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Please help me to review the design document for ccache-native, and
> I also have two questions about it, any answers or suggestions are
> appreciated.
>
> * Feature name: ccache-native

> Bitbake supports the 'CCACHE Mechanism', but 'ccache' hasn't been
> included by poky/yocto, just add it as a native tool.
>
> * Usage:
> Build ccache as a native tool by default and enable it for speeding
> target packages build.
>
> * Implementation:
> 1) Copy bb file from OE upstream to:
>       meta/recipes-devtools/ccache/
>
> 2) Update bb file to get the latest ccache_3.1.5 and split the single
> bb file to:
>       'ccache_3.1.5.bb', 'ccache.inc'
>
> 3) Enable ccache in the native tools building.

You will need to have it be a dependency pretty early on in the build.
Additionally, this is a bit a new part to this task, we want to have the
default CCACHE_DIR for the build default to a directory in TMPDIR
instead of the user's home directory.  This will mean setting an
environment variable somewhere early also.

> * Questions:
> 1) Do we want to add it as a target package? And which images should
> include it?
Yes, it should be included as part of any SDK image, to do this you
would add it to the task-core-sdk list.

> 2) How to add it into native tools build list and build it by default?

You use BBCLASSEXTEND = "native" in the recipe, that will give you the
native for free.