[OE-core] Question about apply eglibc configurability to create minimal image

Kang Kai Kai.Kang at windriver.com
Fri Jun 10 02:50:19 UTC 2011

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your detailed comments.

>  From the above, I'm pretty sure that "netbase" will require a lot of networking
> components, specifically adding things like libc-inet.  So avoid netbase.
>
> It's possible that keyboard/keymaps may cause additional stuff to come in due to
> locale requirements.. so I'd dump those as well..
>
> sysvinit may also introduce some additional items -- so if it causes problems,
> remove it and switch to the init located within busybox.

sysvinit and  busybox, tinilogin require eglibc libc-crypt support.

And busybox need libnsl, so I try to finger out how to break these
depencies.

> update-alternatives is what included gettext -- so this might need some
> enhancement to avoid gettext as a requirement.  So I'd suggest skipping it.
> (Note without it, it's likely busybox, tinylogin may not get setup properly...)

I will test it.

> udev is quite complex and drags in a number of components -- so drop that..

RP suggested using mdev provided by busybox instead, I'll do it later.

> Leaving:
>
>      base-files \
>      base-passwd \
>      busybox \
>      initscripts \
>      modutils-initscripts \
>      sysvinit \
>      tinylogin
>
> First see if you can compile the above with a minimal eglibc configuration.  If
> not I can help you work through those issues..  If you can, you SHOULD see a
> fairly dramatic decrease in size.
First of all, I do the minimal with your direction and give you feedback.

> --Mark
Thank & Regards,
Kai