[OE-core] Multilib Development Update

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Jun 21 13:30:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 15:02 +0200, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> As I already asked before: what is the benefit having this in embedded
> systems?
>
> If I am doing an embedded system I know the target hardware, and there
> is no need to have e.g. both 32 and 64 bit libs.

This has been mentioned before but there are embedded use cases where
the requirement is to have a low overhead OS using 32 bit libs and
binaries to save memory but the main application (like a database
server) runs in 64 bit mode with 64 bit libraries so it can take
advantage of system memory, extra instructions or so forth. This applies
to mips and powerpc as well as x86.

The implementation is fairly self contained so if you don't want
multilib, you shouldn't even be aware its there...