[OE-core] Directory permissions and ownership -- RFC

Phil Blundell pb at pbcl.net
Tue Jun 21 21:09:26 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 14:12 -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
> fs-perms.txt is the default name.  It was done to work similarly to the
> 'device_table-minimal.txt' file that already exists.
>
> The logic is:
>
> Use the variable FILESYSTEM_PERMS_TABLES, the contents of this may be full
> paths, or partial paths within the BBPATH structure.  Multiple files may be
> listed space separated.  (Evaluation is is order it's specified, so the last one
> loaded takes precedence over earlier ones.)
>
> If the variable FILESYSTEM_PERMS_TABLES is not specified, we then use the
> files/fs-perms.txt, again BBPATH is searched for that.

Okay, I see.  Does it support variable interpolation?  If the
permissions are going to be specified out-of-band then I think at a
minimum there needs to be a way to refer symbolically to things like
${prefix} rather than hardcoding their values.

Also, from what you wrote above about device_table-minimal, it sounds as
though this file is a global manifest rather than being per-recipe.  Is
that right?  If so, it sounds like this is going to be a frequent source
of merge headaches in much the same way as the old checksums.ini was.

p.