[OE-core] Conflicting providers for ssh/sshd (dropbear and openssh)

Anders Darander anders.darander at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 07:42:28 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 00:51, Scott Garman <scott.a.garman at intel.com> wrote:
> On 06/28/2011 03:41 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
>> reason is that dropbear only provides ssh and sshd packages openssh
>> provides a few more e.g. openssh-sftp-server which is demanded by
>> some images and at same time wants dropbear to provide sshd and ssh
>>
>> Now both recipes are to be built but are in contention for providing
>> ssh and sshd
>>
>> How to solve this problem. ? Are other packages that openssh provides
>> strictly depending on ssh/sshd from openssh ? or will they work on
>> any ssh/sshd ?
>>
>> If they are independent then may be the openssh recipe should be
>> divided into openssh-ssh and openssh-rest so one can use openssh
>> provided daemon or dropbear provided as they wish

Sounds good. I'd probably suggest openssh-ssh and openssh-sftp, where the
latter one only includes what's necessary for the sftp-server to work. (Or maybe
that was similar to what you meant?)

> I've run into that and have been wondering how to resolve it as well.
>
> If there are currently existing images which are pulling in dropbear's ssh
> and sshd while using openssh's sftp-server, then that would imply they can
> work independently, even though that combo seems like an aggressive space
> optimization that I would tend to avoid.

I wouldn't say that it is a very common practice, but it certainly
isn't too uncommon.
I've seen it a number of times, and also used it in a few occasions.

Regards,
Anders