[OE-core] oe-core cleanup...

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Mar 2 18:00:02 UTC 2011

Thanks for starting this thread Mark, I've also just been looking at
this question so its timely.

On Wed, 2011-03-02 at 11:30 -0600, Mark Hatle wrote:
> I finally got a chance to look at the oe-core and where it currently is..  Some
> suggestions below:
>
> LICENSE file, this may need to be cleaned up to only cover the components
> actually in the oe-core.
>
> README likely needs some revision
>
> README.hardware needs a lot of revision.  Anything outside of support for QEMU
> should be removed.
>
> The meta-demoapps and meta-rt components, will those be staying or going?
>
> The meta/recipes.txt needs to be verified as still what we want -- I assume it
> is at this point..
>
> meta/recipes-...  sato, qt, gnome, I thought were going elsewhere?
>
> Do the items in the "scripts" need to be renamed or is Poky being kept in the
> naming?  Same with the poky-init-build-env?
>
> Then I also assume the items in the documentation directory need to be cleaned
> up as well...
>
> Let me know what you'd like me to try and tackle -- or if we need to bring these
> items up at the TSC for recommendation.

I'm proposing this change so far:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/commit/?h=rpurdie/roorg&id=891ad22536b49d4fee066a5865ad730f791d36e9

with those relocated files being removed from oe-core. Any objections to
that to start with? I think meta-demoapps would also be removed and I
think the TSC pretty much agreed on that.

That would leave these files/directories that I'm aware of that also
need attention:

LICENSE
README
README.hardware
poky-init-build-env
meta/conf/distro/include
meta-rt/*
scripts/*

Is there an easy choice to make on these?

I would like to setup some common distro include files but that is a
separate topic. The main quesiton is whether to leave any of
meta/conf/distro/include around for this or remove for now and bring
back as needed?