[OE-core] oe-core cleanup...

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Thu Mar 3 14:21:21 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Chris Larson <clarson at kergoth.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Joshua Lock <josh at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> I agree, in fact yesterday I discovered we have the beginnings of such a
>> tool (bitbake-layers) written by Chris. Currently it prints out which
>> recipes are being modified by a .bbappend and .bbappend files for which
>> no recipe exists.

Note that it also warns about bbappending to a non-preferred version
of a recipe, but not bbappending to the preferred version of the
recipe, to cover the case where a bump of an earlier layer adds a new
version without removing the old.  I was trying to catch all the cases
where your local changes might seem "lost" when updating things.

On another note, I was really surprised at just how painless it was to
create a new standalone tool to do this, considering it bypasses much
of the infrastructure which the main bitbake tool uses.  There are
definitely still some hiccups in bitbake we should fix to make it
easier, but it wasn't bad at all, which was great to see, and we'll
have to think about what other standalone tools might be useful in the
long term.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com