[OE-core] Using meta-toolchain output as prebuilt toolchains

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Mar 29 11:32:43 UTC 2011

On 03/28/2011 12:58 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> On 03/27/2011 04:44 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the preferred way of 'importing' prebuilt toolchains into OE-core? In oe.dev I can use this: http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/recipes/meta/external-toolchain-angstrom.bb to 'import' an angstrom toolchain built with 'bitbake meta-toolchain', but I'm not sure how to do that in OE-core.
>>
>> My actual use case is actually 2 use-cases:
>>
>> 1) Hand people a prebuilt angstrom toolchain and migrate them to OE while keeping the toolchain
>> 2) "Get started in 10 minutes" type of thing, I suspect an sstate mirror might be better.
>>
>> So any suggestions for #2 as well?
>
> sstate is the best way to catch #2 and I know in general there's "look
> at this URI for the file you want" bits.  I haven't yet started kicking
> the tires on sstate as hard as I have for packaged-staging however.

This is the approach I've been working on to pass on to my customers.  The
idea that I can give them a packaged bundle which includes prebuilt tools
is far more attractive than a simple poky (or oe-core plus layers) tree
which involves many hours of building to produce a simple image.

Hopefully, the sstate method will become more stable over time.  The problem
I've had with it recently is that there are so many variables which are used
to decide if the sstate data is valid (see Richard's description on how this
works) that if the smallest thing changes, the whole lot becomes useless :-(
so it's really only valid for a [fairly] static repository.