[OE-core] lconfig-native is not endian safe

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Mar 30 14:47:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

Poky has had a ldconfig-native recipe in for a while. Back in the times
our RPATHS were totally broken adding in an ld.so.cache was useful. In
modern times I'm having trouble working out when this would be useful on
a standard system as libraries are pretty much always in one of the two
default search locations.

ldconfig-native is 32/64 bit safe. I've just been looking at PPC and it
is certainly not endian safe though. The endianess of the target system
need to match that of the build system for it to work. It wouldn't be
much work to make it endian safe though although the codebase will
diverge further from that in (e)glibc though.

Short term we need to disable it at least for ppc, longer term what
should we do?