[OE-core] How to patch yocto kernel

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Mon May 2 01:14:25 UTC 2011

Hi

I am trying to test this patch

http://uclibc.org/~kraj/perf-tool-Fix-gcc-4.6.0-issues.patch

to fix the build using gcc 4.6.0 but the kernel patching for yocto is
not as usual as other recipes
since it uses entire set of tooling around it.

I tried to look around for documentation and few references I found

https://wiki.pokylinux.org/wiki/Wind_River_Kernel

discourages putting patches in metadata. and in another document it
says it uses git to do patching but does not explain how.

So if someone can explain in simple terms how to patch a linux-yocto
would be really helpful from a
developer POV or any documentation will be helpful.

How do people develop/test patches on linux-yocto I understand
eventually they are desired to be part
of linux-yocto git but that comes after they are tried and tested locally

I would have preferred to have the usual SRC_URI patching atleast for
local testing. As of now
it seems not to use normal OE recipe procedures.

Thanks
-Khem