[OE-core] Pull request with misc changes

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue May 10 19:32:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 16:15 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 16:03, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >> Hmmm.  I'm going to take a stab at making this a create-pull-request
> >> option...
> >
> > Martin/Tom: Serious question - why not use the contrib repo for this?
> >
> > I have nightmares about all the development being spread to all the
> > corners of the globe and people not being able to see what is being
> > worked on. For short lived branches its not so much of a problem but as
> > we take on longer lived feature development it will be a problem. I'd
> > therefore like to understand why the dislike of it...
>
> Welcome to Distribute Source Control Management World; this is the
> beauty of it and I see no reason to restrict or enforce people to use
> a repository.

Nobody wants to force anyone. I just asked for the reasons why people
weren't using it as if there was anything we could fix, we could look
into it.

> In my personal case we have been using GitHub as a central place to
> put projects that O.S. Systems is contributing and this is good to
> gather us some visibility so OE will be there too.
>
> So I won't use contrib to share patches. I can send them to mailing
> list (as I have been doing). A merge on a topic branch is a git pull
> command from you so I see not much problem for you or whom is doing
> the pull job.
>
> As an example:
>
>  git checkout -b otavio-20110510-review
>  git pull git://github.com/OSSystems/oe-core.git master
>  git shortlog origin/master..
>
> Is that so difficult?

I didn't say it was difficult ;-).

Thanks for answering the question, there is little we can do to change
your reasons for what you do and that's fine. I've ensured we're not
doing something that forces you elsewhere at least.