[OE-core] Updating u-boot for oe-core or meta-yocto

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Tue May 24 17:13:03 UTC 2011

Op 24 mei 2011, om 18:36 heeft Darren Hart het volgende geschreven:

> I've started pulling in the 15 or so patches to u-boot from meta-ti. In
> doing so I've come across some questions I'd like you thoughts on.
> Specifically, where to put these changes. Some points of context:
>
> 1) oe-core is intended to support emulated machines only
> 2) oe-core has a "virgin" u-boot recipe (no patches)
> 3) meta-yocto does not have a u-boot recipe (no bbappend either)
> 4) meta-ti has it's own u-boot recipe with per-machine patches
>
> A stated goal was to bring the Yocto Project's u-boot support for the
> Beagleboard in line with that in meta-ti. There are several ways I can
> go about this.
>
> a) create a bbappend in meta-yocto and duplicate the meta-ti
>   modifications in bbappend form.
> b) Modify the oe-core recipe directly

You're forgetting:

c) Have yocto use meta-ti for beagleboard.

TI is actively participating in yocto and it's getting way too weird that you yocto guys keep refusing to use the meta-ti layer. I've heard the arguments why you refuse it, but at this point this is becoming a farce.

> While a) is the most direct approach to accomplish our goal, it requires
> continual maintenance and duplicates effort. I don't care for this
> approach. b) has the potential to consolidate all beagleboard u-boot
> recipe work into a single place. It could simplify the meta-ti and
> eliminate the need for a bbappend in the meta-yocto layer.
>
> The question of whether bootloaders have a place in oe-core should
> probably be addressed. While they aren't needed for the emulated
> machines, they are a highly reusable component for real systems, and
> that seems justify keeping them in oe-core. Does anyone disagree with
> this assessment?
>
> I propose pulling the necessary changes to u-boot from meta-ti into
> oe-core.

I most strongly object to that. But given that you are still refusing to use meta-ti, I suspect it doesn't matter what I say as the maintainer for beagleboard.