[OE-core] Updating u-boot for oe-core or meta-yocto

Jason Kridner jkridner at beagleboard.org
Wed May 25 23:31:27 UTC 2011

This thread got pretty long pretty fast, but I am imagining there is some
place still here for me to chime in and build my own understanding of what
we are doing...

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Richard Purdie <
richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 09:36 -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
> > On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Richard Purdie
> > <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > > I did a little research and I'd like to try and help us move forward.
> > >
> > > The "problem" at the moment is both oe-core and meta-ti have u-boot
> > > recipes. If Yocto were to merge in the meta-ti recipe to meta-yocto it
> > > would overshadow the oe-core recipe. I believe Yocto wants to encourage
> > > sharing a core on codebases like u-boot which are receptive and working
> > > to facilitate collaboration (not unlike Yocto itself).

I like the bootloader living in the BSP layer, but if the mainline recipe is
something we can all build upon in a reasonable fashion, I can see value in
having it in oe-core.  It would seem an ugly duplicate to put it in
meta-yocto and I'm still quite confused on what is meant to live there.
What is done across the other ISAs?  Are they all living in meta-yocto or do
they pull in from their own BSP layers?

> > > Valid questions are therefore:
> > >
> > > a) What can we do to the u-boot recipe in core to make it customisable
> > > from layers like meta-ti

To confirm, this means that building Yocto for BeagleBoard including meta-ti
is *not* an issue outside of the conflicting recipes?  This was something
we'd have needed to resolve anyway, no?

> > > b) Is it possible for the u-boot recipe in meta-ti to be a .bbappend
> > > rather than a recipe which overwrites the default.

You said this recipe is an unpatched mainline, correct?  Creating BSPs with
.bbappend on top of mainline recipes in oe-core seems like a nice approach
from my perspective.  Is that what is being suggested here?  Will all 4
non-qemu BSPs in Yocto's core validation take this approach?

> > > For a), I know Darren has some patches which drop the
> COMPATIBLE_MACHINE
> > > usage for example and instead raise the skip parsing exception when
> > > UBOOT_MACHINE isn't set which is a step in the right direction. If we
> > > find other issues, lets fix them.
> > >
> > > For b), I talked to Koen and he's going to see how feasible this is
> > > although as always with this kind of issue there are various
> > > complicating factors.
>

> > > Hopefully if we work both sides of the problem we can get this
> resolved.
> > > Darren, if you could send out some of your patches so far (e.g. for
> > > COMPATIBLE_MACHINE) that might be helpful.
> > >
> > > If the ultimate answer is that no, meta-ti has so many changes or
> > > specific requirements that mean it needs to stay a .bb file then lets
> > > cross that bridge if we come to it but I think this discussion makes
> > > sense before reaching that conclusion. Its possible the last release of
> > > u-boot has sufficient beagle support for yocto's needs and we could use
> > > that instead.

The mainline u-boot works pretty well for Beagle, as Darren has confirmed,
but I think there are a few useful patches as part of the validation image
for BeagleBoard that have yet to make it upstream due to their platform
specificity.  I am working those as I have time, but I think it is
reasonable to have an approach BSP-specific patches temporarily, no?  I'd
hate to get in a situation where we cannot produce the BeagleBoard
experience that we want.

> > > Just on a more general note, the agreement on resolving the beagleboard
> > > issue stands as is. The plan is to make beagleboard support in
> > > meta-yocto as near a copy of the meta-ti pieces as possible with the
> > > exception of the kernel where linux-yocto will import the needed
> patches
> > > to demo the kernel tooling functionality. The layer tooling under
> > > development will automate the process of syncing those pieces. I think
> > > everyone is happy with the agreement and we just need to address some
> > > corner cases like u-boot.
> > >

> > so is it just a question of beagleboard support or a broader support
> > for all machines ?
>
> I'm hoping there are some machines out there which have merged support
> into the upstream so simply setting UBOOT_MACHINE = "xxx" in the machine
> config file is enough to get them working.

I've used mainline with the BeagleBoard, but I'd prefer if we kept control
over the experience on our platforms and welcome regular encouragement to
eliminate patches.

> Basing the system on the premise that every bootloader needs to be
> custom isn't really where we want to be :/.

Agreed, but what is "the system" in this respect?  I believe "the system" is
meant to simplify creation of BSPs for every new platform under the sun, so
having a way to work with these customizations seems to be a critical part
of what the system should be.  That said, I take it seriously that after all
this time there are still out-of-tree patches to u-boot that we are using to
support the BeagleBoard and that needs to be resolved ASAP.

> > I know various boards use very different versions
> > of u-boot so is oe-core going to bring that support
> > to u-boot in oe-core and maintain that ?
>
> No, the idea would be to make it easy to add missing pieces in
> a .bbappend though.
>
> > IMO keeping oe-core relatively free of machine dependent stuff would be
> better.
>
> I'm still in agreement with this.

What confuses me is that this seemed more directed at using meta-yocto or
meta-ti for support of the BeagleBoard, not if we wanted to put
board-dependent stuff in oe-core where I think we all agreed we want to keep
it clean of machine dependent stuff, unless I missed something.  I still
wonder if BeagleBoard doesn't belong in a less vendor-specific repository to
make sure that community developers can adjust it as necessary outside of
TI.  Though, as long as Koen is happy with it living in meta-ti for
Angstrom, it seems suitable to me.