[OE-core] Updating u-boot for oe-core or meta-yocto

Anders Darander anders.darander at gmail.com
Fri May 27 05:36:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 20:07, Darren Hart <dvhart at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> My current thinking on this is that for meta-yocto we want to have a
> reasonably functional self-contained example BSP for ARM. Beagleboard
> was the board selected for that. meta-yocto should be able to build the
> core-image-* images and have them work on Beagleboard without needing to
> pull in the meta-ti layer.

Sounds like a good idea (and one that has been previously agreed upon,
as I understand it). It's always good with a self-contained example
BSP in meta-yocto.

> For additional Beagleboard support and perhaps more state-of-the-art
> features, people looking to develop for the Beagleboard should also
> include the meta-ti layer.
>
> Having said this, I'm leaning toward just using the oe-core virgin uboot
> recipe in meta-yocto as it is adequate to boot the Beagleboard. Then the
> meta-ti layer provides the backports that provide some polish and usability.
>
> Does anyone disagree with my thinking outlined here?

No, you have my vote for this.

Doing it this way will, in my opinion, reduce the u-boot .bbappend's
in the BSP layer as much as possible. In most cases the bbappends
needed should just be patches with some extra features and configs.

Regards,
Anders