[OE-core] [pull-oe-uboot 1/2] u-boot: remove UBOOT_MACHINE and COMPATIBLE_MACHINES

Phil Blundell pb at pbcl.net
Fri May 27 14:04:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 10:46 -0700, Darren Hart wrote:
> Right, it just starts to look rather ugly in the recipe, especially for
> BSPs supporting more than just a couple of machines. I also think that
> having to use machine overrides is an indicator that the mechanism is
> not working for the purpose it was designed for.

Yes, agreed.  But the point I was making in my first mail is that you
don't actually need to use machine overrides at all; just appending to
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE will work fine.

So, to be clear, in the core u-boot.bb you could have:

# These machines are supported by upstream u-boot
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "(beagleboard$|at91sam9260ek$)"

and then, in some putative meta-dec overlay, you could have a
u_boot.bbappend which does:

# This patch adds PDP-11 support to u-boot
SRC_URI += "pdp11.patch"
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE .= "|pdp11$"

and everything ought to work out just fine.  The only bit that is
slightly non-obvious is what to do if you don't want the core version of
u-boot to admit any MACHINEs at all but, as I mentioned to Richard, you
can achieve that by setting

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "(?!^)"

or something similar.

p.