[OE-core] how to exclude files when packaging?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Nov 17 19:51:57 UTC 2011

On 11/17/11 1:43 PM, Chris Larson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Mark Hatle<mark.hatle at windriver.com>  wrote:
>> On 11/17/11 3:12 AM, Ni Qingliang wrote:
>>>
>>> I still think that the 'exclude" feature would be better.:)
>>
>> IMHO an exclude function would simply be an automated rm -f<list>  at the
>> end of the install process.
>>
>> It should be fairly easy to implement this if someone thinks it's a better
>> idea then making individual recipes run a rm -f of their own.
>
> I wonder if, in general, it'd be useful to implement glob exclusions.
> In other words, our list of patterns could become more like a
> .gitignore file:
> /foo/*
> !/foo/bar

I considered that early on in the Yocto Project work -- but decided against it
due to simply the complications required to ensure that the patterns worked as
the end user expected them.

I know the bitbake back end and OE classes have matured since then, it may be
easier to implement now -- if so I'm certainly interested in this.

--Mark