[OE-core] qemu needs > 2 GB of RAM to build?

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Fri Nov 18 19:39:06 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm testing building core-image-minimal in a resource-constrained
environment (a VirtualBox VM with 2300 MB of RAM allocated to it). With
PARALLEL_MAKE set to -j4 (the VM does have two CPUs allocated), I'm
finding that the build of qemu-native fails because the OOM killer steps
in and kills gcc. This is happening during the linking phase of building
qemu.

If this is true, I assume it would pretty much mean that no one can
build our images without more than 2 GB of RAM. Is this true? Is this
something for us to be concerned about?

Scott

--
Scott Garman