[OE-core] Overriding a variable only in our layer

Daniel Lazzari dlazzari at leapfrog.com
Wed Nov 23 01:24:47 UTC 2011

Hey everyone,

I ran into an interesting problem today that I need some help with. I'm not sure if this is a bitbake issue or an oe-core one so I thought I'd try here first. We have our own layer that overlays on top of oe-core, meta-oe, and meta-angstrom. Our layer has a bunch of recipes that pull projects from our local SVN, including a recipe for u-boot. We have a build configuration file that has lines like the following:

SRCREV_pn-u-boot = "563"

We pull in this conf at build time using bitbake's -R argument. Just recently we switched u-boot's SRCREV from ${AUTOREV} to an actual revision number and bitbake started choking trying to parse recipes. It looks like it chokes while trying to parse oe-core's u-boot git recipe because the SRCREV is meant for SVN, not GIT (even though our PREFERRED_VERSION is set up only to build our u-boot). Is there a way to override this SRCREV variable only when parsing recipes in our layer? I know I can do it directly in the recipe, but that loses us the advantages of having all of the SRCREVs in one file (which makes specific full rebuilds very easy).

Thanks,

Dan Lazzari Jr.
Firmware Engineer
dlazzari at leapfrog.com