[OE-core] Minutes: OE-TSC Meeting 22-Nov-2011

Jeff Osier-Mixon jefro at jefro.net
Fri Nov 25 21:38:16 UTC 2011

OE-TSC Meeting 22-Nov-2011
Attending: Mark, Koen, Richard, Khem, Tom
Apologies: Jefro
Agenda & Results

*) Select a chair...
Tom

*) Other issues?
intralayer dependencies

*) Revise the TSC's normal meeting time
meetings now set for Tuesday 9amPST = 11amCST = 5pmGMT
Jefro will attempt to alter schedule, otherwise will create minutes from
logs

*) Discuss the PACKAGECONFIG policy
Using PACKAGECONFIG needs to get evaluated on a per recipe basis, there is
no one right way. The rule of thumb:

       Investigate if there is a need to support multiple parallel configs
       If there isn't, use PACKAGECONFIG

Since PACKAGECONFIG is a distro-wide choice, it nearly always is coupled to
a matching DISTRO_FEATURE. The current syntax for triggering PACKAGECONFIG
of DISTRO_FEATURE is clunky and needs improvement.

Adding PACKAGECONFIG options to recipes is ok, as long as the defaults
preserve the current settings. The intent is that people should have to
opt in to changes unless discussion reflects otherwise.

The overriding concern is that functionality shouldn't disappear on
people unless they've made a conscious choice to embrace that change. It
should also be stressed that changing PACKAGECONFIG is a distro
incompatibility, i.e. distros should use one consistent set of
PACKAGECONFIG options only.

*) Other misc items...
-- WR Review template?
not discussed, out of time

next meeting scheduled 6-Dec-2011
Raw Transcript

09:06 < fray> ok.. it's time.. anyone else here/
09:06 *** koen waves
09:06 *** RP__ is
09:07 < fray> Is anyone logging this?
09:08 *** RP__ is logging
09:08 < fray> 'k..
09:08 < fray> Does anyone have an agenda to go over?
09:08 < RP__> well, the question is whether the three of us can be
productive
09:08 <+khem> I am here guys
09:08 <+khem> gm
09:08 < RP__> cool, hi khem
09:08 < fray> Tartarus the only one missing?
09:09 < RP__> fray: yes
09:09 < RP__> and Jefro but that is expected
09:09 <+koen> I'll poke tartarus on our work channel
09:11 -!- Tartarus trini at pixelshelf.com has joined #oe-tsc
09:11 -!- mode/#oe-tsc [+v Tartarus] by ChanServ
09:11 < RP__> koen: Did you read the last meeting's logs?
09:11 <+koen> RP__: I did
09:11 < RP__> hi Tartarus
09:11 <+Tartarus> sorry all, had to put daughter down for a nap
09:11 < RP__> koen: any questions/concerns?
09:11 <+koen> although is was at 3AM
09:11 <+koen> AIUI you guys says "postpone till next meeting"
09:11 < RP__> koen: on that specific topic, yes
09:12 < RP__> so we're all here
09:12 < fray> http://pastebin.com/LN5SX1bk
09:12 < RP__> volunteer to chair?
09:12 < fray> that is what I have for an agenda
09:12 < RP__> I can volunteer
09:13 < RP__> but jefro complains I always do ;-)
09:13 < fray> hey I did it last week.. ;)
09:13 < RP__> fray: I know :)
09:13 <+khem> ok let me volunteer this time
09:13 <+Tartarus> i'll do it this week
09:13 <+Tartarus> heh
09:13 < fray> :)
09:13 <+khem> ok Tartarus it is
09:13 < RP__> Tartarus: go for it
09:13 <+Tartarus> Someone logging?
09:14 < fray> RP is
09:14 *** khem is
09:14 <+Tartarus> k
09:14 < RP__> Tartarus: yes, I'll get jefro the logs
09:14 <+Tartarus> So, other issues?
09:14 < RP__> I think those are the main ones
09:14 <+Tartarus> OK, so meeting time
09:14 <+Tartarus> Um, does this time work for everyone normally, aside from
Jefro?
09:14 < RP__> Tartarus: yes
09:14 <+khem> I dont have any issues other than we should think of
ways/process for intra layer deps
09:14 < fray> Works for me
09:14 < RP__> much better for me
09:15 < fray> ohh actually wait.. I do have another issue -- but it can
wait until next week..
09:15 <+khem> It works for me
09:15 <+Tartarus> koen, this time works for you as well?
09:15 <+koen> this time works for me as well
09:15 < fray> someone was asking me about meta-oe vs oe-core.. policy on
when things go where and who monitors it's being followed
09:15 <+khem> 2 hrs early would be ok too
09:15 <+Tartarus> -2h from now is a bit too early for me
09:16 <+khem> ok lets pin on this time then
09:16 <+Tartarus> So, I think we should try and keep to this time and
either ask Jefro if he can re-arrange or we'll just live with getting him
the logs to make minutes from?
09:16 <+Tartarus> Anyone disagree?
09:16 < RP__> Tartarus: sounds like a good plan to me
09:16 <+Tartarus> OK, next item, PACKAGECONFIG
09:16 < fray> works for me
09:17 <+Tartarus> Last week I summarized what I thought what koen was
saying, then said lets wait for him to be here
09:17 <+Tartarus> But it'd be best I think if koen summarized what he sees
as the problem himself
09:17 <+koen> I get the impression it is a solution waiting for a problem
09:18 <+koen> and RP seems to like his new hammer and treats every problem
as a nail
09:18 <+Tartarus> Some form of USE flag not called a USE flag is a problem
09:18 <+Tartarus> We did agree there before, I thought
09:18 <+Tartarus> back at the f2f meeting in SF
09:18 <+koen> I severely object to the "we have packageconfig, so it is the
only acceptable solution" mentality
09:19 < RP__> koen: Ok, so you have two things there. Whether we need it at
all and when it should be used
09:19 <+koen> AFAICT we agreed to the need for useflags and also that they
are a last resort
09:19 < RP__> koen: On the first subject, is there a need?
09:19 < fray> koen, I don't think it's the ONLY solution, but I do think it
needs to be the primary solution, unless someone can justify something else
on a package
09:19 < RP__> User feedback says yes, people want a way of disabling things
like X11, configuring which gstreamer plugins to build and so forth
09:19 <+khem> will it be globally specified or per recipe ?
09:19 < RP__> should pulseaudio get used in qt?
09:20 < fray> I see a need, so I can change default behaviors per recipe
09:20 < RP__> Can we please discuss this in some kind of order?
09:20 <+koen> is qt going to change to packageconfig?
09:20 < fray> but -I- expect a change to be made on a distro basis..
09:20 <+koen> so a distro needs to choose between qt/e and qt/x11?
09:20 < RP__> If we all ask random questions and skip to implementation
this is going to be an impossible discussion to have
09:20 <+koen> that's what you're saying
09:21 < RP__> koen: no, at this point I;'m saying there are some usecases
we don't have a good solution for without PACKAGECONFIG
09:21 < RP__> so is there a need for something, I believe the answer to be
yes
09:22 < RP__> What really convinced me of this is the idea of trying to
customise some configuration from a layer
09:22 < fray> I see three steps of distro creation?   Selecting the source
packages to build..  Selecting the "distro config" to select multiple
package settings, and packageconfig settings when tailoring a specific
recipe.   packageconfig though is recipe specific.
09:22 < RP__> Several people out there are trying to do this and finding it
very hard. I have difficulty in saying "no you cannot disable configure
option XXX" and you should use what is in the core or not at all
09:23 <+khem> I see it complicating the things
09:23 <+koen> a lot of issues can be solved by having 2 recipes, like we
have in OE-classic
09:23 < RP__> We're supposed to be about flexibility and configurabilty so
making it hard for people doesn't seem right
09:23 <+khem> RP__: what will it be limited too
09:23 < RP__> koen: agreed and this is a big worry
09:23 <+koen> but apparently "parse time" is more important
09:23 < fray> Khem, I agree.. that is the one concern I have with the flags
approach.  It makes it much harder to test, if you want to support all
combinations
09:24 <+koen> I like having the option to include mplayer with and without
X support in an image
09:24 <+koen> WITHOUT changing distro
09:24 < RP__> koen: I'm not discussing implementation yet
09:24 < RP__> I'm trying to explain the needs
09:24 < RP__> Are we clear on the need or not?
09:24 < fray> I believe it -is- needed, but policy is that default
configuration must be reasonable...
09:25 <+Tartarus> I don't think we're totally clear on the need
09:25 <+Tartarus> All of them, at least
09:25 <+koen> I agree that it's needed, but it still needs to be a last
resort
09:25 < RP__> Tartarus: me neither which is why I don't want to skip to
implementation :/
09:25 < fray> I think it's reasonable to say alternative configurations
should be justified, and unit testing on a recipe basis is needed by the
maintainer of the package..
09:25 <+khem> so we need it to configure distro ? images ?
09:25 <+Tartarus> So, I think on the 'needs' side, we also need to include
something about what this implies to the implementation
09:26 < fray> what I don't want to see is a recipe that every possible
option to 'configure' is spelled out within a packageconfig setting..
09:26 <+Tartarus> IOW, if I want to change how it's built, how much of my
previous world is now invalid?
09:26 < RP__> My big concern is that if we don't have something in the
core, we'll end up with all kinds of half complete custom solutions with
people hacking it to fit their needs
09:26 < RP__> and the OE project will get a bad name as a result
09:26 < fray> RP__, I've already seen some of that
09:26 < RP__> fray: right :(
09:27 <+khem> fray: e.g.
09:27 < RP__> This is also a topic which has been "punted" at several OEDEMs
09:27 < fray> lots of misc .bbappend files that simply change a small
config setting...
09:27 < RP__> "too hard", "no resources"
09:27 < RP__> pb_ for example has for a long time wanted to disable X
completely
09:28 < fray> when we have altenative configurations that are reasonable, I
believe there needs to be a way for them to go into oe-core
09:28 < fray> (I see X btw as a distro flag -- because it affects more then
one recipe)
09:28 < RP__> I've also heard of people wanting to customise gstreamer
plugin dependencies as there are things they need to add and things they're
clearly never going to want
09:28 <+Tartarus> Well, do we agree that how the choice of what is in, and
how changing that choice impacts what was already built, is part of the
needs?
09:28 < fray> BTW I think this is potentially another gotcha we have to be
aware of..  people using recipe flags when they're really distro flags..
09:29 < fray> Tartarus it is for me.
09:29 <+koen> or even image flags
09:29 < fray> ya, and image flags
09:29 <+koen> e.g. qt
09:29 <+khem> RP__: why dont extend distro_features
09:29 <+koen> I do NOT want that to get an x11 packageconfig flag
09:29 <+Tartarus> Since we need to support, in the end, both "world"
distros like angstrom
09:29 <+Tartarus> and device specific custom builds
09:30 < fray> koen, I think an x11 packageconfig flag is incorrect.. that
is a distro flag.
09:30 < RP__> So do we agree there are users asking for recipe *and* distro
*and* image based control of configuration?
09:30 < fray> RP__, again, I agree that is hte need.
09:30 < RP__> I'm going to assume yes here so now lets look at the
constraints we have
09:30 < fray> can we define image control though -- this is what is built
(sources)?  what is installed (binaries)?  or?
09:31 < RP__> Image based control I think we do well enough today
09:31 < fray> can you give me an example?
09:31 < RP__> i.e. we split things up into very granular packages and you
chose which to install
09:31 < fray> ok, thanks.. then I am thinking the same
09:32 < RP__> some things definetely need to operate at the distro level
09:32 < RP__> in general I agree X11 should be something the distro chooses
09:32 <+Tartarus> So, other needs we need to discuss?
09:32 <+Tartarus> Or shall we really get into implementation details now
09:32 < RP__> however I can sympathise with the case where someone doesn't
want package X pulling in X
09:34 < fray> at WR (non bitbake, so it is different!) we have a concept of
automatic "recipe" flags..  i.e. if the user has decided to build expat,
then things that might work with expat are told it's now available...
09:34 < fray> but if you just request the item (and expat isn't there),
it's not added to the dependency list..
09:34 < fray> I see this as somewhat the same concept.. but with a bit more
explicit setting when the default isn't what someone wants
09:35 < fray> (the current WR approach won't work with bitbake because
there isn't a static list of sources the user has said they want to build
the final image..)
09:35 <+koen> as an example: I do not want to go back to the time where a
distro had to choose between opie or gpe, but couldn't build both
09:36 <+koen> that's why we had virtual/sdl
09:36 <+koen> (which is not the best example, but a decent illustration)
09:36 < fray> I understand the desire..  I think this is someone we have to
keep in mind as we frame the discussion on recipe flags
09:36 -!- RP__ ~richard at dan.rpsys.net has quit [Ping timeout: 248 seconds]
09:37 <+koen> so if you use DISTRO_FEATURES and/or PACKAGECONFIG you're
forcing a choice on a distro level
09:37 <+khem> I am still not convinced why per recipe configs
09:37 <+koen> I'd like to avoid that where possible
09:37 < fray> yes, that is my expectation -- you are forcing a decision
that affects what is built..
09:38 <+khem> if the feature pans across recipes it makes sense
09:38 <+koen> fray: on a distro level
09:38 <+Tartarus> Hang on, RP just ping'd out
09:38 <+Tartarus> lets pause for a minute
09:38 <+Tartarus> So we don't have to paste him 600 lines :)
09:39 <+khem> or is it an effort that we want to reduce recipe appends and
move the same to a local.conf or some such
09:39 < fray> koen -- both distro flags and recipe flags affect the
produced distribution.  I think that is an important thing to remember when
someone implements one.
09:39 <+koen> I agree that for some recipes distro flags make sense, e.g.
'core' recipes and x11, but for others the multiple recipe or "just accept
X is getting built for gstreamer" might work better
09:39 < fray> alternatives is a different approach to resolving an issue --
it moves the decision to the image install (binaries) vs build-time..
09:40 <+Tartarus> Note that lots of people are picky about build-time
09:40 <+Tartarus> (with good reason)
09:40 <+koen> Tartarus: sstate cures that and brings world peace
09:40 < fray> build-time, as well as not wanting the choice at
install-time..  IMHO one thing we currently don't have is a good mechanism
to choose from alternatives
09:40 <+khem> fray: you mean build a package multiple times ?
09:40 < fray> (at install time)
09:41 < fray> khem, no alternatives as in the gpe / opie thing koen
mentioned
09:41 <+khem> ok
09:41 < fray> looks like RP might have completely fallen off the net..
09:41 <+koen> 'RP' is still online
09:41 <+koen> 'RP__' isn't
09:42 -!- mode/#oe-tsc [+o Tartarus] by ChanServ
09:43 <+koen> IMO we need to look at using DISTRO_FEATURES/PACKAGECONFIG on
a per recipe basis
09:43 <+koen> and not say "it's the default solution"
09:43 -!- RP__ ~richard at dan.rpsys.net has joined #oe-tsc
09:43 < fray> RP__ back?
09:43 <@Tartarus> RP__: http://pastebin.com/nFNeuEPx brings you up to date
09:43 < RP__> Am I back now?
09:43 <+koen> OE shouldn't become like GNOME3
09:44 < RP__> ok, so I was talking to myself for a while :(
09:44 < fray> let us know when you've caught up, etc..  :)
09:46 < RP__> so having ways of handling recipe based configuration as a
customisation is still something some people are going to want even if its
"derived" from a distro flag
09:46 < RP__> In terms of implementation, one of the constraints needs to
be that the default behaviour doesn't change
09:46 < RP__> The patch on the mailing list that triggered this discussion
fell down in that regard
09:46 < RP__> The second place it fell down in my opinion is it didn't
follow through on the defaults from the distro features
09:46 < RP__> So now looking specifically at the options we have for distro
and recipe features
09:46 < RP__> We currently have various distro conditional statements
springing up throughout the codebase. I can't say I love the syntax but
I've yet to come up with anything better
09:46 < RP__> There are some cases where its possible to split the recipe
into two e.g. avahi and avahi-ui
09:46 < RP__> Unfortunately these recipes duplicate build time and parse
time and are rather ungainly in their appearance at the code level
09:46 < RP__> They're also fragile and easy to screw up. The avahi recipe
is currently broken and causing races as both recipes are installing files
into the sysroot and conflicting with each other :(
09:46 < RP__> See failures in the Yocto autobuilder as proof I think there
is a time and a place for such recipes, qt4 is an example of where such a
split does make sense and can be made to work particularly where parallel
installs of something make sense but so far the ugliness and how hard these
things are to get right is favouring me at least to look for alternaives
09:47 < RP__> Sorry, I've pasted my backlog, still reading your conversation
09:48 < RP__> Am I still here?
09:48 <+khem> I agree on constaints
09:48 < fray> yes
09:48 < fray> Ya I do as well.. I'm failing at summarizing my thoughts
though
09:49 < RP__> So what I'm proposing that that nothing should really change
for distros or recipes *by default*
09:49 < fray> as a distribution creator, I need to set constraints on what
(or more to the point how) things are built to generate my binary package
set
09:49 < RP__> i.e. the default PACKAGECONFIG for a given recipe should
really be as it is today
09:49 < fray> then a second step is installing those into the image, by
chosing the correct set to get hte image I want..
09:50 < RP__> however I do thing we need to start allowing people to be
able to customise recipe configuration on a per recipe basis more easily
09:50 < fray> we need a way to make choices -- and we need a mechanism to
provide alternative packages when the distribution creator can't/doesn't
want to make the image choice early..
09:50 < fray> correct?
09:50 < RP__> If they do this, all bets are off as far as distro
compatibility goes
09:50 < fray> RP__ for the most part I agree..  I think most of our recipes
the defaults are correct.. but it's something to evalute as time goes on..
09:50 <+khem> I think it should be made easy enough to change the
PACKAGECONFIG if one has to
09:51 < RP__> fray: yes, we can and will continue to do that
09:51 < fray> my users don't want distro compatibility.. they want their
requirements reflected in the produced distro
09:51 <+khem> may be it should be dumped by bitbake somewhere during build
09:51 < RP__> so for example, if there is an X11 related PACKAGE_CONFIG
option, it should be pulling that from DISTRO_FEATURES by default
09:51 < fray> RP__ agreed
09:51 < RP__> so the build output is maximal
09:51 < fray> pam, selinux, x11, directfb, ... these are all distro wide
decisions to me
09:52 <@Tartarus> But again, while we need to support the 'world' type
distro too
09:52 <+koen> not in all cases
09:52 < RP__> and its those maximal configurations angstrom, yocto and
others continue to work on
09:52 < fray> do I support md4 in openssl, that is a local recipe decision
09:52 <@Tartarus> ie "here's the feed of everything, you pick the binaries
you need"
09:52 < RP__> Tartarus: this is why I'm suggesting maximal(ish)
configurations by defaults (as today)
09:52 < fray> Tartarus yes.. difference from highly tailored embedded
distro to more generic distro
09:52 <@Tartarus> RP__: that's not right, for angstrom if I follow koen
right
09:53 < RP__> Tartarus: have you an exmaple
09:53 <@Tartarus> Both foo+x11 and foo+nox11 .ipk should be able to be built
09:53 <+koen> within reasonable limits
09:53 <@Tartarus> Or more concrete, qt/e and qt/x11
09:53 <@Tartarus> right koen?
09:53 <+koen> right
09:53 < RP__> well, qt is a good example
09:53 <+koen> qt is a great example
09:53 < RP__> and I'm not proposing that change
09:54 < RP__> however pulseaudio as part of qt is perhaps a different
question
09:54 < fray> I think the answer there (distro flag was) is you (don't
disable) x11 and (enable) directfb -- or whatever the qt/e technology in
question is..
09:54 < RP__> we don't want recipe sfor qt/e with pa, qt/e without pa and
so on
09:54 <@Tartarus> fray: That's just what we don't want
09:54 < fray> but that will require recipes and knowledge to determine what
to do for conflicting distro flags
09:54 <@Tartarus> Again, if I follow koen right, we want to be able to do
bitbake qt4-x11 qt4-e
09:55 <+koen> qt has a plugin architecture, so if you don't care about
buildtime, don't install the <foo> plugin
09:55 <@Tartarus> and get the ipks for both
09:55 <+koen> e.g. don't install phonon-backend-pulse
09:55 < RP__> koen: doesn't work for pulseaudio :(
09:55 < fray> koen, but only if the runtime plug-ins are enabled
09:55 < RP__> koen: I was told it wasn't a module :/
09:55 < fray> but that is different.. a plug-in architecture can be defined
at install time, not build-time
09:55 < RP__> koen: If that isn't true then its a different question
09:55 <+koen> RP__: I haven't checked, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't