[OE-core] Feedback on building openembedded-core for qemuarm. Excerpts from buildlog

Eric Bénard eric at eukrea.com
Sat Nov 26 12:38:23 UTC 2011

Hi Ulf,

Le 26/11/2011 12:24, Ulf Samuelsson a écrit :
> 3. When I ran into this problem, I exited with ctrl-C.
> This left some recipes in the middle of a fetch ,and the build could not
> continue.
> I had to "bitbake -c clean <package>" on all problematic packages to recover.
> Seems a little bit fragile to me.

already met here : you must let bitbake end the other tasks already started to
prevent that (so only one control C).

> 4. linux-3.0 recipe in meta-ti does not build (On Ubuntu 11.10 x64).
> Fails in the fetch stage.
> I removed the layer, since it was not needed for qemuarm.

I also met this kind of problem. To prevent that problem, in my bsp overlay, I
always add COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "" to the machine specific recipes.
What is strange is that meta-ti also have this in its recipes so their
linux-3.0 recipe should not be used if you target qemuarm.

> 5. When compiling on a Ubuntu 11.10 x64 host (linux 3.x host)
> tiff won't build.
> Did:
> bitbake console-image"
> bitbake -c clean tiff
> bitbake tiff
> - No luck
> Reading through the mailing list, I found someone which deleted
> $TMPDIR and then
> bitbake tiff
> bitbake console-image
> That worked for me as well once, second time, same problem.
> Problem is that #include <iostream> fails.
>
> I noted that "iostream" is built and available in <sysroot>/usr/include/c++
> On the host, it is located in /usr/incolude/c++/<version>
> "tiff" build seems to be OK with Ubuntu 11.04 i686.

what is your BB_NUMBER_THREADS setting ?
Here (on 2 different hosts/distro/arch but with an i7 CPU in both cases) if I
set it over 4, I often (always with a value of 8) meet problems with c++
includes during build from scratch. 4 seems the magic value which never
trigger the problem.

Eric